2014 Halloween Decor Projects

With all of our moving and living situations, I haven't had the opportunity to build up our holiday decor much. This was a year I had the time to work on getting our house a little more festive for Halloween.

In addition to my very few favorites that I've had for years now, I followed this tutorial to make some pillow cases out of canvas and then stenciled in the words "boo!" and "eek!" with black fabric paint. This project wins the award for the most inexpensive. I used a $14 drop cloth from Home Depot (and there was tons of fabric left over).

I also made these yarn candycorns out of foam cones and yarn. This one takes the award for easiest project. Seriously, 40 minutes tops. I didn't even use glue. Just a few straight pins to hold the yarn in place.



And finally, this one wins the award for most time consuming. For a long time, I've always wanted to do some illustrated portraits of our family. With the intent of customizing them for each season or holiday. Since I wanted more holiday decor in our home, there was never a better time than the present.


Now it's important to note (actually, it' really boring to note): as someone who is trying to learn the ropes to graphic design, I have NO idea what I'm doing, so it's all by trial and error and trying to imitate what I see others do. I have no idea what my style is really, but I do know what I like, and like is a bit of an understatement to describe how I feel about Alison Oliver's Babylit Book Illustrations. Yes, they are super cute baby books, but being the weirdo I am, I see little works of art on each page that I just stare at for embarassing amounts of time. It was her inspiration that gave me an idea of where I wanted to go with these.


Here is what ended up in the frames. But after seeing them on the wall, there were a few edits I went back to make, mostly in regards to scaling (and Hazel's hair), that you can see below and I'll reprint for next year. (Phil and myself got skewed when I saved them as a JPEG and for the life of me I don't know how to fix it...anyone out there know why?)


 





Now I just need to get going on our Thanksgiving version...pilgrims perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment