Happy Chinese New Year!

(above) Phil and I decked out in our red and black to celebrate the Chinese New Year. (below) Two mini dancing Chinese dragons...I liked them a lot.
So, the Chinese New Year came and went. Usually, I would have no ties to such an event, except for the fact Phil's work holds quite the happenin' Chinese New Year shin dig. We were even encouraged to wear red and black. Except for the 10 course meal I probably took six bites of (With the power combo of new tastes, being pregnant and chopsticks working against me, this is no surprise), the night was quite enjoyable. They entertained us with dancing Chinese dragons, Kung Fu demonstrations and a Chinese childrens' orchestra.
My second tie to the Chinese New Year (I know you're all thinking, "no way! a second tie!") is that this Chinese year is the year of the boar. Some of you may remember one of my previous posts because I was feeling sorry for myself that I found out I was born in the year of the boar. Well, the pity party is over because I discovered something very cool about the 'year of the boar' or 'year of the pig' so they say. Boar or pig...hmm... pigs are dirty, but pink and nice, so I'll go with pig. Anyhow, not knowing any of my thoughts on this, Phil came home and told me that not only was it the year of the pig, but the 'Year of the Golden Pig'. (Gasp!)
Apparently, he was talking to a co-worker who told Phil this bit of info and said that if you have a baby (it's all making sense now, isn't it) in the Year of the Golden Pig--which might I add, happens every 600 years!--your child will grow up to be very prosperous. Phil said his co-worker said, "yeah, my wife and I are trying really hard to get pregant" followed by one of those laughs that they are joking, but not really.
I Googled this and found this informative tidbit...

"Not too long ago I announced that my wife and I are expecting a baby this year as part of our world domination plans. Adding fuel to our plans is the discovery that this year is a special year according to the Chinese Zodiac.
It is not only the year of the Pig, it is the Year of the Golden Pig. According to Chinese Foklore, this is an event that occurs once in every 600 years and will ensure that a baby born on this year will experience a prosperous and wealthy life.
This legend is so popular, that Korea is expected to have a 10% increase in birth rate this year, which is apparently much needed as its birth rate is extremely low. "
It later when on to say, that there are no facts supporting this myth...but why would I want to talk about that?
Anyhow, here is a "Woo, woo!" to anyone having a baby before February 2008! Asian or not, you apparently have a tie to the Chinese New Year as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment