Beijing 2008 !!!

Da, da, DA, DA, DA, DA...(Olympic theme music playing in background) Are you ready for the Olympics!!! Woo hoo! I'm so excited. I've been watching the Today Show coverage and Phil and I have been good about watching all the trials, so we are up to date on Team U.S.A. along with all the heart felt stories and athletes that make me smile. Here are a few I'll be looking out for: Women Gymnastics: Shawn Johnson, Nastia Lukin, & Alicia Sacramone. Of course, this is the sport I've followed the most. I love that Shawn just seems to get pure joy out of it all. You never feel as though someone locked her in a gym, stripped her of her childhood and made her eat, drink and sleep gymnastics and even if they did, she would be as happy as a clam. I believe that Nastia is the gymnast who I get the most joy out of watching. Her unusually long, extended lims make everything she does exquisite. I also love Alicia. She is kind of the 'if at first you don't succeed' story and I think she is cute and funny. Everytime she gets on camera she makes me laugh and I love that she doesen't take thinks too seriously. Women Weight Lifting: what? I know. But local, Melanie Roach, a mother of three including one autistic boy, is who I'll have my eye on. I sound like I'm writing a news story. Apparently, she was doing awesome but gave it all up for ten years to be a mom and now she's back at it and predicted to do really well. Back to you, Matt. Swimming: Of course, Michael Phelps (what is with the stash he's sporting?). I think he'll do pretty good. And there are a couple of girls I'll be watching, although I can't remember their names. (side note: you know people who know everything about sports, name, stats, it's really quite impressive...I'm not one of those people.) And finally, I have to say something about the medals. They did a cover story on them this morning and they are B-E-A-Utiful!!! The Chinese wanted to add a little somethin' somethin' of their own to the design so they all have an embedded ring of jade in them. The bronze has dark green jade, the silver has light green jade and the gold has white jade, which, of course, is the most rare. I want to buy one for whatever multiple amounts of grand they are worth and wear it as jewelry. Yeah, so for any of you athletes that care about fashion-this is the year you really want to win one of those puppies. (If you get second...its okay because you may have, indeed, won the prettiest medal...) If you haven't been in the loop, hopefully, this post gets you jazzed and updated for the Olympics. Opening Ceremony tomorrow night: Friday, 8-8-08! (Check you local listing for times :)

6 comments:

  1. YEAH olympics, and YEAH I'm invited! (I was so scared!) I love this blog! {thanks!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a fan of the summer olympics, I'm glad you share my enthusiasm! Actually, I think you have it beat! This post is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were such a fan of the games! Us too! We should have thought about this and done a girls night while the boys were away! :o)

    Someone has a birthday coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I so love the olympics! I am so excited!! You should come over and watch them with me!!!! Call me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am obsessed with our Olympians. I'm glad Michael Phelps shaved the facial hair (I imagine it was slowing him down in the pool!) But he could take a lesson from you and wear a retainer. When I interviewed him a few years ago I kept staring at his teeth. And his muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first year doing my own vegetables from my garden. Rex's mom use to grow extra in her garden for us and then I would come over and she would help me do them. Though, sometimes I wasn't able to make it to do them and she ended up doing them for us. She's the best! I am starting my beans today and then I will work on pickles, salsa, and tomato juice. I am going to do some plum, pear, and peach jam when they are ready, so that will keep me busy! I also want to bottle peaches and pears to eat. Hopefully it all happens because it feels good when you do the work! Well, I hope your olympic watching is great! We don't have TV, so we don't get to see them! Well, I will talk to you later! Love ya

    ReplyDelete