BOOK OF MORMON MUSICAL



I first saw this article:


A Latter-day Saint View of The Book of Mormon musical


 on Facebook posted by one of my friends and have later seen it make the rounds. I thought I'd do my part to spread these words from Michael Otterson (Head of Public Affairs, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) in regard to the highly praised musical, "The Book of Mormon".


I'm sure I have shared with other members similar feelings of disappointment in regard to the popularity of a musical that I understand uses crude and blasphemous humor to make fun of the beliefs we hold dear.


Usually, these types of things make me madder than a wet hen, but for some reason I didn't feel the hurt and anger I usually do at such offenses. I've come to learn that feeling that way isn't worth it. There is a certain peace that comes when I see such darkness sweep society particularly when it is disguised as "entertainment"-- and that peace comes from what I know to be true. Good will always overcome the bad and light will always overcome darkness. Truth will always win out.


With that said, I am so grateful for this article. It makes me proud to be a Latter-day Saint. I love how Otterson focuses on true facts and statistics in regard to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint's relationship to Africa (apparently the musical takes place in Uganda) as well as the missionaries who serve there.


He also addresses the reasons why there hasn't been a bigger outcry from members. His answer is simple: it's because we're Christian. He quotes from the 13th Articles of Faith (a.k.a. what we Mormons believe)


“We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men…If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.”


And well, the musical, "The Book of Mormon" just doesn't fall into the category of "things worth seeking after" for any reason.

1 comment:

  1. So true and SO well written...you've outdone yourself, my dear. Love and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete